Greensburg Catholic Cemetery
Blessed Sacrament Cathedral Parish
300 North Main Street
Greensburg PA. 15601
Office Phone: 724-836-4384
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Physical Address of Cemetery
179 Donahue Road
Greensburg, PA. 15601
Cemetery Grounds Hours
Dawn to Dusk
8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Greensburg Catholic Cemetery Regulations
(Reissued: May 25, 2015)
To help maintain the beauty and uniformity of our cemetery and for the mutual safety of all lot owners and the cemetery staff, we require that the following rules be strictly followed. We ask for your cooperation as we strive towards this goal.
- The planting of fresh flowers is permitted from April 1 to October 31. No wire stands are permitted between April 1 and November 1 due to grass maintenance during the summer months for all sections.
- Flowers may only be planted within eight inches of the front of the headstone. No flowers may be planted at the sides and back of the stone. Flowers or plants such as hostas, sedums, etc. that exceed the eight inch limit will be trimmed back or removed without notice to lot owner. No planting tags are ever permitted.
- Lot owners may not plant any trees, shrubs or bushy plants such as roses, azaleas, etc. No glass, wood chips, stone, mulch, plastic, metal, boxes, borders or fences of any kind are permitted.
- Flowers will be removed and/or trimmed back when graves are overgrown with weeds or grass.
- Michigan peat or peat moss is recommended for your planting bed.
- Memorial flags or holders are not provided by the cemetery. Lot owners must get flags & holders from the Am Vets (724-834-9731). If the headstone has veteran information inscribed on it or there is a flag holder on the grave, then the Am Vets will place a flag in the holder a few days before Memorial Day. The cemetery staff will remove the flags in the fall.
- Votive lights and other lighting devices are not permitted at any time.
- Christmas decorations are permitted from November 15 to February 15. Any items remaining after February 15 will be removed by cemetery staff without prior notification. If you wish to retain your Christmas decorations please remove them by February 15. Reminders of this regulation will be placed in all diocesan parish bulletins in January and also on the Blessed Sacrament Cathedral website.
Section J: (flat/flush marker section) The above rules (1-6) also apply. No in-ground planting of flowers at any time may occur in this section. All flowers must be in a vase or floral cup in front of stone, any flowers put directly in ground will be removed and discarded. Arrangements are not permitted to be placed behind or sides of the stone at any time. Cemetery personnel will remove without. Only one arrangement per grave is allowed.
Section L: (flat/flush marker section) The above rules (1-6) also apply. No upright headstones. The vase must be in the marker. One vase per marker. If you do not have a vase, use a floral cone or in-ground planting is allowed in this section according to Rule #2. One arrangement per grave.
Section M & P: (flat/flush marker section) The above rules (1-6) also apply. Bronze on granite markers only, no upright headstones. The vase must be in the marker. One vase per marker. No in-ground planting in these sections. Flowers must be in the vase. One arrangement per grave. Anyone wishing to use a government marker must purchase granite for under the bronze and also a vase with granite if you want to place flowers on grave.
Personal lawnmowers and trimmers are NOT permitted to be used in the cemetery.
For all sections: The cemetery reserves the right to remove and/or dispose of any plants, flowers, decorations, trinkets, toys, balloons, figurines, statues, decorative flag holders, chimes, signs, ceramic decorations, etc. at any time due to safety or grounds maintenance issues. If artificial flowers are worn, tattered or deteriorating the cemetery staff will remove them as well. The removal of these items will occur without any prior notice to the lot owners.
- Inside: No potted plants are permitted inside at any time. Due to lack of space, small arrangements of fresh cut flowers, plastic or silk flowers are permitted on the tables provided. For safety reasons flowers may not be placed on the floor or in other stands. Vases are provided by the cemetery and are located in the closer inside the front entrance. Wreaths are not permitted inside. No flowers or decorations are permitted on any crypt fronts. Only one arrangement per crypt is permitted.
Outside: Plastic and silk flowers in floral cones only are permitted outside at the edge of the sidewalks throughout the year. No plastic and/or silk flowers are ever permitted on any crypt fronts. For safety reasons flowers may not be placed on the walkways. Only one arrangement per crypt are permitted. Signs are posted.
- Christmas decorations/wreaths are permitted outside from November 15 to February 15. Any items left after February 15 will be removed by the cemetery staff without prior notification. If you wish to retain your Christmas decorations please remove them by February 15. Reminders of this regulation will be placed in all diocesan parish bulletins.
- The cemetery staff reserves the right, at their discretion to remove and/or dispose of, without prior notice to the crypt owner, any fresh flowers that are wilted. No lamps or votive lights, decorations, trinkets, toys, figurines, statues, etc. are permitted and will be removed without prior notice.
- Reminders of these regulations are on the Blessed Sacrament Cathedral website.
Any questions, please call the cemetery office at 724-836-4384.